This reserve is located on the Caribbean side of Turrialba
Volcano, 19Km NE of the city of Turrialba. It was
founded in 1973 and has an area of 217.9 hectares.
Its main reason to exist is that it is the site of
Costa Rica's largest Pre-Columbian indian settlements.
This site had been occupied for over 2 millennia (1000
BC - 1400 AD).
Due to its geographic position, Costa Rica was important
as a place where the South American indian cultures
and those of the North, met and interacted.
archeological site itself seems to cover 15 to 20
hectares, of which only a small part has been excavated.
As proof that this was much more than a little village,
there are the remains of paved streets that extend
out in different directions for various kilometers.
These often include drainage systems too. There are
many stone mounds which obviously served as bases
for wooden buildings. Since the American indians did
not use the wheel, many of their steets are equiped
with stairs to overcome inclined grades. The whole
area was equiped with both open and closed aquaducts
as a water supply. These often ended in large rectangular
stone tanks where water was held for niebourhood use.
Although there were many tombs, all found so far were
robbed long ago.
Although the area protected is not big, numerous important
species of flora and fauna are protected there.